NMEA to KML converter
2008-10-20: There has been an update to the converter. The result is now saved on the server and made available for 24 hours from an intermediate results page. You can also choose to color the path according to the speed or the number of used satellites. The KML output has been improved, with placemarks and line segments now grouped separately so you can deselect each of them easily. Line segments are broken when there is no GPX fix. And of course there have been bugfixes.
What it does
You can upload a file containing GPS-coordinates in the NMEA-format (that's what most GPS devices provide), and the converter will return a KML-file which can be loaded in Google Earth. All datapoints are displayed in a line to allow exact tracking of your route, and at adjustable intervals (see settings below) the route is marked by placemarks which display speed (in km/h), height and time (GPS-Time). The number of placemarks can be influenced by the minimum distance and minimum time difference settings below.
Note: The resulting KML file will be provided on a static result page which will be available for about 24h on this server (with a hard to guess URL).
Please keep in mind:
- Report any bugs you encounter. I will try to improve the program from the information I get from the errors logged on the server, but if you send me files which caused problems it's much easier.
- Be patient. The conversion itself should be pretty quick, but uploading can take some minutes.
- Don't upload huge files or files which would take a long time to upload over your internet connection. Otherwise you may encounter timeouts or other errors.
- Only the GPGGA lines of the NMEA file will be converted, so this only works with GPS receivers.
- Units are metric, and time will be in UTC. This will probably be adjustable in the future.
- Remember the limited accuracy of GPS. Expect deviations from the real position of 15 meter, sometimes more. This also affects speed computation (and thus colorization).
Now select file to convert from NMEA to KML:
After pressing Submit, wait until the file uploade has completed (this may take some time). A result page will be displayed and then a download dialog should open.